Lifeguard III (Millennium Place)
- Competition number: 009-2018-EXT-RPC
- Closing date: Jan. 14, 2018
- Competition status: Interviewing
- Job type: Permanent Full-Time
- Department: Recreation, Parks and Culture
- Pay range: $59,134 to $73,902
- Hours: 40 hours per week
We are seeking a Lifeguard III to join the Millennium Place Aquatics Team. You are an experienced aquatics leader with strong communication and interpersonal skills to successfully lead a diverse team of part-time lifeguards and effectively serve a diverse stakeholder group.
The Lifeguard III position is primarily responsible for the supervision and leadership of a large team of Lifeguard I and IIs in addition to on deck lifeguarding. The Lifeguard III position will consistently meet and exceed National Lifeguard Standards, react to emergency situations, provide emergency aid when required, and maintain water chemistry and mechanical operations.
- Supervise, train, and support hourly staff, providing them with opportunities for development and feedback when necessary
- Delegate and empower staff and provide clarity of roles, expectations, and responsibilities within the team
- Provide leadership to the hourly team with a guest service focus for all facility users. A key component of this position is developing staff and building a collaborative team that is responsive to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Proactively address guest concerns and feedback
- Demonstrate exceptional lifeguarding procedures, including modelling effective scanning, patrolling and professionalism to ensure public safety; take a lead role in emergency situations; and provide first aid and emergency aid
- Monitor and maintain pool operations in compliance with Alberta Health Services and other agency requirements, problem solves issues or concerns with the Lifeguard IV
- Assist the Lifeguard IV to meet OH&S requirements for the facility and staff
Skills and Abilities
- Effective interpersonal and leadership skills to supervise a large and diverse staff
- Effective customer service, public relations and communication skills (verbal and written) to work with diverse groups of individuals
- Effective organizational and problem solving skills, with the ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and respond quickly to emergencies
- Highly adaptable to changing facility conditions and stakeholder requirements
- Knowledge of aquatic mechanical operations and lifeguarding standards
- Ability to recognize and manage risk with respect to facility operations and staff
- High school diploma and a minimum of 4 years of lifeguarding experience
- Post-secondary education is an asset
- Supervisory experience and training is an asset
- Pool Operator Level I & II an asset
- Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered
- Conditions of Employment
- Current certification in NL, AEC and CPR
- Criminal record and vulnerable sector check
The annual salary range for this permanent full-time position is $59,134 to $73,902, working 40 hours per week which include one evening and one weekend shift. There will be a need for some holiday shifts as well as some on-call availability.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #009-2018-EXT-RPC closes January 14, 2018.
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We contact only candidates selected for interviews.
- Active: Accepting applications until 11:59 pm MST on the closing date.
- Screening: Applications are under review.
- Interviewing: Applicants have been selected for interviews.
- Closed: A candidate has been selected and/or competition has closed.
- Ongoing: Accepting applications, which will be reviewed on an as-needed basis.
- Cancelled: The competition has been cancelled.
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Only those candidates chosen to continue through the selection process will be contacted.