Task force progress
The COVID-19 Recovery Governance Task Force was established by Bylaw 33-2020 (57.0 KB) .
The Task Force supported Council’s development of an overall vision and strategy for the municipality’s response, recovery and resilience both during and after the COVID-19 Pandemic. It focused on regional cooperation and strategies for advocating to other orders of government for municipal supports to address recovery in the municipality’s short, medium, and long term future.
April 27, 2021 update
The task force reviewed the County’s policy and legislative framework to identify bylaws or policies that may need updating to help recovery and resilience. Transparency was critical in supporting the County and community throughout the pandemic, including projects like:
- All Council meetings were held, and technology was implemented to give online options for public attendance
- All task force meetings were public, and efforts were made to engage the public and subject matter experts to guide task force direction
- Research and engagement helped identify ways to support our community's recovery during and after the pandemic.
- Advocacy efforts during regional discussions to support the needs of County residents
- Implementing recommendations from the Red Tape Reduction Task Force to improve development permitting processes and supporting technology
- Exploring policy and legislative opportunities to address municipal environmental stewardship relating to current and emerging public health and safety practices
- Exploring market techniques and inviting vendor and supplier services that are innovative, creative and feasible.
- Continuing to develop the Broadband Project to provide equitable broadband access to the community
- Continuing technology that supports virtual Council and committee meetings, available for public viewing
- Exploring ways to support voter participation in the upcoming 2021 municipal election
- Integrating regional sessions on pandemic recovery initiatives with the Councillor orientation program after the election
- Exploring collaborative and knowledge sharing ideas on pandemic recovery and resilience
- Communicating ongoing recovery work and available programs and services
- Exploring ways for public participation in the annual budget process
- Exploring ways to advance virtual engagement
- Develop a framework that addresses pandemic learnings and community resilience
- Assessing ways to encourage infrastructure investment to support broadband and wireless technology
Read the April 27, 2021 final report in full: Task force final report - April 27, 2021 (518.1 KB)
Read the February 23, 2021 report in full: Task force progress report - February 23, 2021 (162.8 KB)
Read the November 24, 2020 report in full: Task force progress report - November 24, 2020 (157.7 KB)
Read some of the ways Strathcona County is adapting its services and programs and responding to COVID-19.
|Dave Anderson||Regular Voting|
|Robert Parks||Regular Voting|
|Paul Smith (Chair)||Regular Voting|
Member terms commenced May 12, 2020 and continue throughout the term of the task force.
|Jan 11, 2021||1 pm||RG Task Force Agenda Jan 11 2021 (756.0 KB)||RG Task Force Minutes Jan 11, 2021 (76.8 KB)|
|Feb 8, 2021||1 pm||RG Task Force Agenda Feb 08 2021 (47.5 KB)||RG Task Force Minutes Feb 08, 2021 (78.2 KB)|
|March 8, 2021||1 pm||RG Task Force Agenda Mar 08 2021 (45.2 KB)|