Ages and Stages
Curious about your child's development?
Learn what you can expect at various ages & stages. You can complete a questionnaire that provides a look at your child’s expected milestones for his/her age. You can also stop by Parent Link and ask a resource worker for a questionnaire.
- For the Ages & Stages Questionnaire (ASQ-3) click here.
- For the Social Emotional Questionnaire (ASQ:SE-2) click here.
Toddlers Don't Just Toddle
Sensitive periods in early brain development
Sensitive periods are times of increased opportunity to positively affect development, and increased risk to hamper development.
Critical Years are birth to three:
- Most important period for human development
- Lay the foundation for all later development
- Impact lifelong learning, behaviour, health and well-being
Wondering what to expect at each age and stage?
The Parenting Counts Timeline offers access to research-based information about your child's development from birth to five.
Interactive Milestone charts from The Baby Centre are quick reads that show snapshots of child development from birth to five.
Looking for ideas to try at home?
Are you looking to read more about a parenting topic?
- Strathcona County Library has booklists of terrific titles read and recommended by SCL staff. You can also find print copies in the Library.
Want to find out more?
- Zero To Three Child Development
- Includes tips and tools for parents of children 0-3 with questions on challenging behaviours, early development, health/nutrition, promoting social/emotional development, play, sleep, etc.
- The Brain Story
- Learn about how early experiences shape brain development. Offers short videos to inform parents and community about how and when to best support children and families to achieve positive outcomes.
- Triple P: The Power of Positive Parenting
- Find out more about skill building for parents and caregivers. Offers a variety of learning opportunities including online, group or individual sessions. Search for a provider or session near you!