Drought 2021: Help for farmers
Hay and pasture land available
If you are looking for hay this fall, Strathcona County has a number of municipal reserves available for haying or pasture purposes.
The combined acreage is 289 acres. Leases will be short term to allow for a one time cut, and bale with bales removed by November 30, 2021.
Due to time restrictions, leases will be made available on a first come, first served basis. The cost is $80 minimum, plus GST.
Use the interactive web map to find hay and pasture land near you.
To book hay or pasture land, please contact:
Increase your business visibility
Consider adding your farm or agribusiness to the Strathcona County business directory, to better connect and market to the local community.
Federal and provincial supports and resources available
Coping with stress
It’s been a tough year. Between the pandemic and drought, producers are facing immense stress and loss. There are small, practical ways to take care of your mind and body. You can try:
- Being kind to yourself when stressful thoughts arise and taking a few deep breaths
- If you're working outdoors, noticing things in nature that help you feel calm
- Taking intentional restful time outside
- Doing a hobby you enjoy
- Connecting with your faith or social community
And, if you’re feeling tired, worried or overwhelmed, Family and Community Services is here to support you. We know our rural community is resilient, and we are here to help you carry on with hope.
The County offers free and low-cost supports to get you through this season, including:
- Navigation Services: Navigators can help access financial support and other resources to help you through this season.
- Counselling: The County’s professional counsellors will talk with you and offer support and coping strategies for the stress you’re facing. No appointment needed.
- Family Resource Network: If you’re a parent, the County also provides parenting supports and services to support your entire family.
To access supports to cope with stress, please call: