Township Road 520 Upgrade
In order to proceed with constructing the newly revised alignment, the contract for the remaining portion of the Township Road 520 upgrade project will be awarded in July 2014. The remaining construction work for Township Road 520 will begin in the 3rd week of July 2014, and completed in the fall of 2014. Strathcona County will be closing Township Road 520 from east of Ceretzke Road to the intersection of Range Road 223. The roadway closure is necessary due to the limited construction space; this will ensure both traffic safety as well as expedite the construction project. Temporary accesses will be constructed to solely accommodate the impacted residents within the work zone boundaries, as well as to allow emergency vehicles to access those properties at all times.
- Roadway Widening and Paving With 1.0m Wide Shoulder
- Roadway Realignment Along Wet Land at Range Road 223
- Driveway Approach Rehabilitation
- Ditch Grading and Seeding
- Water Drainage Management
On May 19, 2013 the private contractor for the project, Crow Enterprises commenced with construction activities. Final grading, gravelling and paving will be completed from east of Range Road 223 to Range Road 222 and from west of Range Road 224 to Entrance of Davidson Subdivision.
The contractor has now completed all construction activities along Township Road 520, except for the section of road parallel to the wetland located at Range Road 223.
Due to restrictions outlined in the Migratory Bird Convention Act, a federally regulated Act, an additional geotechnical investigation within the wetland west of Range Road 223 originally planned for late May 2013 had been delayed because of nesting activities until mid-September, 2013.
The geotechnical investigation had commenced on September 16, 2013; with testing complete, solutions required to complete the roadway upgrade are done with roadway design now complete. The remaining section of TWP 520 will be shifted several meters to the south to minimize the water body impacts.
Final approval of the design has been confirmed by Alberta Environment, with all necessary permits currently being set in place. Steps will be required to return the impacted area to a ‘natural’ state. Construction activities will begin in the 3rd week of July 2014, with completion expected by October 2014.
We will continue to keep residents apprised of the ongoing activities.
- Temporary road closure from east of Range Road 224 to Range Road 223. The work zone will begin east of Ceretzke Road to east of Range Road 223.
- Traffic will be detoured south to Highway 14; Range Road 223 and 224 will remain open in the north/south directions (see detour map in link below).
- Closed areas will be open to local traffic only, the Archery Club and local residences will be provided continuous access.
- Watch road closure and detour signs on Township Road 520 near Range Road 224 and Range Road 223.
The majority of the Township Road 520 widening is now complete, with exception of the section of road adjacent to the wetland at Range Road 223. This section is anticipated to be constructed beginning the 3rd week of July 2014 and completed by fall 2014.
Please check the following Strathcona County link for future updates: CountyWorks
Attachments:Project Map (1.5 MB)
Adam Cieply, P.Eng.
Capital Projects Manager II
Capital Construction Branch
Capital Planning and Construction
Opus Stewart Weir Ltd.
Prime Contractor contact:
Earthwise Contracting Ltd.