Volunteering for Snow Busters
Many local seniors need help with snow clearing. This is a flexible volunteer opportunity. Volunteer to help a senior throughout the season or add your name to a casual volunteer list. Call 780-464-4044
Helping seniors with snow removal
The Snow Busters program matches qualified seniors with volunteers who commit to clearing ice and snow from seniors' walkways or driveways within 72 hours after each snowfall. County citizens are encouraged to do their own “snow busting” as well. As an alternative to becoming a registered volunteer in the program, residents can simply offer to help a senior in their neighbourhood.
Residents say it best...
"I want to stay in my home as long as I can, but the outside work is the thing that makes it hard. Getting the snow looked after is a very big thing."
"Any help I can get is appreciated, thank you so much. This is a great help to me, I don't know how I would have managed this winter with health troubles."
Becoming a Snow Buster
Seniors with physical limitations need your help keeping their walkways and driveways clear of ice and snow. You can make a difference in the life of a senior. There are two ways to help:
- Take some extra time when shovelling your sidewalk or ploughing your own driveway to give someone else a hand.
- Register as a volunteer with Snow Busters and be matched with a senior.
Volunteers may be individuals, families, teams or groups who enjoy working outside, want to make community connections and prefer a flexible volunteer schedule.
To register as a volunteer, complete the Snow Busters application form.
Snow Busters FAQ's
Why it is Important
In the 2009 Seniors Plan Survey, County seniors indicated that assistance with home maintenance, such as snow removal, is one of the best ways to help them remain in their homes longer.
Receiving assistance with snow removal:
- helps seniors remain in their homes safely
- prevents injuries due to slips and falls
- ensures safe access out for groceries and appointments
To qualify for Snow Busters, seniors must meet the following criteria:
- be a Strathcona County resident aged 65 or over
- be physically unable to shovel snow
- have an annual income not exceeding $24,600 for an individual or $40,000 for a couple.
To request help with your snow, contact Snow Busters:
780-464-4044 or via email.
Last updated: Friday, March 22, 2013
Page ID: 2533